I set aside my selfish sewing for a bit to sew for my favorite girl. She's home from college and a girl needs something new when she comes home, right? I made a wrap skirt out of this rayon challis print she found at Joann. It was quick and easy and she's very happy.
I used New Look 6456 and made View C and made no changes (not even to the length) and it's perfect. You really can't go wrong with a wrap skirt, they're an easy fit and easy to make. The fabric shrunk like crazy so I had a difficult time getting all the pieces out of the fabric. I think figuring out how to make the pieces fit took almost as long as making it. Cutting and sewing was under 2 1/2 hours and I only had a few square inches of fabric left over. Yay me!
She's going away to work this summer and my plan is to make her another one before she gets back. Chambray maybe? I'm going to miss her so sewing for her will make me feel better.
There's still so much more I've made and haven't blogged about. Coming soon!
I continue to be “The Top Lady” with another top I made to fill my closet. This time, however, I added a nice summer basic that was absent from my wardrobe. This dotted Swiss came from Mood Fabrics in LA and it only took about 1 1/4 yards. I love a project like that!
This is the third time this summer I’ve used New Look 6035. I used it here for a fun shell and here for a basic khaki skirt.
The inspiration for this shell is a yellow top one of my students came to class in. So many times when my students come to class I touch the fabric they’re wearing or zero in on a detail. I’m sure they’re used to it by now but I think I might need to work on my “boundaries” when it comes to touching other people’s garments. I usually ask for permission but surely I forget at times. If you ever catch me touching a stranger’s dress in the grocery store will you slap my hand? Do any of you do this?
I added a center front seam and a 3 1/2” wide band down the front. Originally, I wanted the top to tie in the front above the slit. When I finished it however, the tie opened the top so much you could see the camisole underneath. So awkward. Instead I made a shorter 1 1/2” slit and continued the 1/2” binding all the way around the neck and armholes. I also added my usual back neck dart to eliminate gaping in the back.
Pants are under my machine right now so I’m breaking my top streak. Yay me!
Hi! I'm Diane, a wife, mom, sewing teacher and pattern designer from sunny Southern California. I share my sewing adventures here on the Blue Dot Blog formerly Gatorbunnysews. For more info click here.