I want to share with you an in-progress "pattern hack" dress project I have working in my sewing room. Halter dresses seem to be all the rage this summer and I figured this cotton crepe that's been sitting in my stash for quite a while would be perfect.
I started by using this Simplicity pattern for the armhole shape. After cutting off 1" at the top of the bodice, I pinned in six pleats on my dress form, marked them and sewed them down. The smoother look of the pleats was better with the cotton than a drawstring.
After the pleats were in, I marked and cut a facing for the strap to run through.
I'm using some black seam binding to determine the length of the strap but I will be making the strap out of the fabric.
The skirt is up next! I'll post the finished dress soon!
Hi! I'm Diane, a wife, mom, sewing teacher and pattern designer from sunny Southern California. I share my sewing adventures here on the Blue Dot Blog formerly Gatorbunnysews. For more info click here.